It’s September already, and that means fall is right around the corner here in the Raleigh area!
Fall is the time most homeowners make the switch from air conditioning to heating as temperatures begin to drop. Before you turn on your furnace for the first time this season, it’s important to do some maintenance to ensure it’s running safely and efficiently.
The experts at Weather Master recommend scheduling a professional pre-season tune-up for your furnace. One of our expert technicians will inspect your furnace, clean the interior components, check for gas leaks, perform other important maintenance tasks, and make recommendations for any necessary repairs. Annual tune-ups help extend the life of your furnace as well as help it operate more effectively throughout the heating season.
In addition to professional servicing, there are a few simple things you can do yourself to get your furnace ready for fall:
- Replace the air filter. A dirty filter will restrict airflow and cause your system to work harder than necessary. Check your filter every month or two during heavy furnace usage and replace it if needed.
- Vacuum heat registers and vents. This helps improve airflow by removing dust, dirt and debris that can accumulate over time. You can go one step further and schedule a duct cleaning as well.
- Inspect the thermostat. Make sure it’s properly programmed and replace batteries if needed. You can also have a programmable thermostat professionally installed to improve energy efficiency.
- Clear the space around the furnace. Don’t store boxes or clutter near your furnace – airflow needs space!
- Check exhaust and intake vents. Make sure there are no blockages or damage.
- Test the emergency shut-off switch. Familiarize yourself with the location and operation of this important safety feature.
- Check for unusual sounds, smells, or operations when you first turn on the furnace. If anything seems off, call a professional for service right away.
Investing a little time into furnace maintenance now will pay off all season long with better performance, fewer repairs, and more comfortable indoor temperatures. The heating experts at Weather Master are happy to help with any furnace repair or tune-up needs in the Raleigh area. Contact us online or call us at (919) 323-8177.