With the Thanksgiving and Holiday season quickly approaching, we are busy taking an inventory of all that we have to thankful for this year. At the top of our list, this year is not surprisingly, indoor plumbing.
You may not think about plumbing as often as we do, but we are sure that you are just as grateful for your washer, shower and kitchen sink.
However, surprisingly enough, many Americans will not have the luxury of complete indoor plumbing this holiday season.
According to The Washington Post, the American Community Survey recently published this sobering fact: there are close to 630,000 occupied homes in the United States that lack complete indoor plumbing.
Can you imagine life without plumbing? We can’t.
So without further ado, in honor of all bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms everywhere:
The Top Five Reasons Why We’re Grateful for Indoor Plumbing
1. We don’t have to get up, get dressed and head outside to use the restroom in the middle of the night- or any time for that matter. Before indoor plumbing, you had two choices, the outhouse or the chamber pot.
2. We can bathe as frequently we want to and any day of the week, for that matter. Before indoor plumbing, many families collected rainwater and heated it for a weekly bath. Did we mention the water was shared?
3. We have quick access to tap water in the kitchen. Have you ever thought about how long it would take to cook dinner lugging water from a well? Can you imagine having to think ahead about a water source to prepare?
However, to say our tap water is clean would be an overstatement- given the number of chemicals floating around. We always recommend having a free water analysis done if you haven’t before.
4. We can wash and dry an entire load of clothes in about an hour. Washing clothes my hand used to be a weekly chore that occupied much of the day.
And our favorite reason of them all..
5. We are grateful every day for the opportunity to build a business and provide
for our families in an industry that changes and improves the quality of so many lives.
We hope our list inspires you to create your list and to think often and fondly of your plumbing. And we hope you have a wonderful holiday and have so much to be thankful for this year.
Your Friends at WeatherMaster