We mean by saving money on your utility bills, of course. In the summertime, cooling your home accounts for up to half of your energy costs and adds up on your monthly utility bills. While we think you’re coolest when you’re saving energy, you’re friends will probably think so too and thank you profusely if you share these tips and help them save money. You’re welcome.
9 Ways to Save Money on Your Air Conditioning Bills
1) Leave your air conditioner running. It doesn’t make sense at first, but turning your air conditioner off when you leave for an extended period of time makes it harder for your system to remove cool your home when you return. Heat builds up in your walls and furniture, and your system has to work harder to remove it. Set your thermostat five to ten degrees warmer to save on your utility bills instead.
2) Tune-up your air conditioner. We all know it isn’t cool to be out of tune, but did you know that a tune-up can make your air conditioner work more efficiently and save you money on your utility bills? We can help you out with this one.
3) Shade your outdoor unit. Planting trees and tall plants close enough to your air conditioning unit makes it easier for your system to cool your home. Planting trees is good for the environment too. Helping the environment is always cool.
4) Pretend like you’re in a tropical place and set your thermostat as high as you can comfortably manage. Only use your air conditioner when it’s hotter than 78 degrees. You’re body will get used to it, so will your wallet.
5) Turn on the exhaust fan above your stove when you are cooking or using appliances that produce heat. The fan will remove heat and humidity from your kitchen, and you will save more in cooling costs than you are spending in electricity. Always remember it is often easier to remove heat than it is to cool your home down afterwards.
6) Avoid using appliances or activities that produce heat during the day. Cook outside on the grill, run the dishwasher at night or while you sleep, and let your dishes air-dry instead of using the drying function.
7) Close the curtains and the blinds on hot, summer days. Not only will closing your blinds keep your neighbors from seeing anything uncool that you are doing, it will keep the suns rays from heating up your home. Hang posters of nature and tropical scenes for a view. Plug in coconut air-fresheners to enhance the illusion.
8) Minimize the amount of times that you open your door during the day. We know it’s tempting to run outside every time you hear a plane fly overhead, but keeping your doors shut will keep hot air from entering your home.
9) Install ceiling fans and keep portable fans around your home. Fans will not lower the actual temperature of the room, but they will make you feel cooler. We all know how important it is to feel cool.
10) Tune-up your air conditioner. We all know it isn’t cool to be out of tune, but did you know that a tune-up can make your air conditioner work more efficiently and save you money on your utility bills? We can help you out with this one.
Sharing these tips with your friends will make you seem cooler. Calling us to schedule your air conditioner tune-up will help you BE cooler, today.