The duct system in your home is the vehicle through which heated and cooled air is distributed throughout your home. If your ducts are dirty, dusty or contaminated with molds or fungi then the air you breath will also contain these substances as well. Having your air ducts professionally cleaned can contribute to better health, a cleaner home environment and even better efficiency of your heating and cooling system.
Contaminants in your Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC) system can aggravate asthma and allergies. Duct cleaning can help eliminate bacteria and fungus to improve the air quality in your home. Cleaning your air ducts can protect everyone in your home from breathing contaminated air.
Less dust and dirt means a cleaner environment. Cleaning your air duct system can help maintain a cleaner home, requiring less dusting.
Cleaning your air duct system helps your HVAC system run more efficiently, resulting in less run time and lower heating and cooling bills. Cleaning your air duct system can also extend equipment life.
Even if you live in a new home it may not be as clean as you think. During construction, your air duct system is open allowing wood shavings, drywall dust, dirt, trash, and carpet fibers to settle or be swept into your system. Cleaning your air duct system is the only way to thoroughly remove these contaminates.
Some Important Indoor Air Quality Facts You Should Know:
- The average 6-room house collects 40 pounds of dust a year (Discover Magazine)
- Air ducts have more germs than a chicken coop (American Lung Association)
- EPA claims indoor air has been found to be up to 70% more polluted than outdoor air (EPA)
- Children are more likely than adults to be affected by polluted indoor air (Dept. of Consumer Affairs)
- A build up of 0.42 inches of dirt on a heating or cooling coil can result in a decrease in efficiency of 21% (EPA)
- 9 out of 10 heating, ventilating, air conditioning systems failures are caused by dust and dirt (Louisiana Coop Extension Service [LCES])
- The LCES also reports that clean systems restore capacity and lessen running times. This means saving on your monthly electric bill.