Adjusting your thermostat a few degrees when you are away from home or during the night can save you money in your monthly utility bills. You can save as much as 1% on your utility bills for each degree if the setback period is eight hours long. In this economy, who isn’t looking for ways to cut back on bills! Unfortunately there is a certain amount of inconvenience when you have to manually control the temperature on your thermostat. Forgetting to adjust the thermostat can result in uncomfortable temperatures or loss of these savings. You can maximize your energy savings without sacrificing comfort by installing a programmable thermostat.
Programmable Thermostat Benefits
- Accurate temperature control
- Easy to use
- Menu-driven programming is functional and user-friendly
- Set-it-forget-it programming makes energy saving automatic
- Maximize energy saving while providing complete comfort control
- Contribute to overall system performance
- Saves wear and tear on high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment by properly cycling the equipment
- Programmable fan controls for air circulation
- Lifestyle programming (including vacation controls)
- Certain programmable thermostats qualify as an Energy Star product with the U.S. Department of Energy
Before you buy a programmable thermostat, chart your weekly habits including wake up and departure times, return home times, and bedtimes, and the temperatures that are comfortable during those times. This will help you decide what type of thermostat will best serve your needs.