What can I do if I have uneven temperatures throughout my home?
Temperature differences of up to three degrees from room to room are not uncommon, but often one or several rooms are uncomfortably warm or cold. This condition could be caused by a number of factors within your home including inadequate insulation, air leakage, poor duct system design, duct leakage, unwanted heating by the sun in warmer months, or a failure in part of your heating and cooling system.
- Hire an energy specialist to do an in-home evaluation to find any trouble spots.
- Have a HVAC technician check to see if your heating and cooling system is operating correctly.
- Have a HVAC technician check your ducts for air leakage and proper distribution of air.
- Seal any leaks in your home (around windows, doors, outlets) and add insulation.
- If the sun is making rooms too hot, consider using shades or solar screening.
- Hire an electrician to install ceiling fans to make room air circulation more uniform.